Thursday 4 June 2015

DIY: fabric ice cream cones


We have massive sweet tooths in my house. Combine that with my lastest habit of clearing out plastic toys (or the plastic grocery food to be exact) from our house & thought I would combine this to make ice cream cones out of fabric.

 
I used spotted fabric (for the cone base), wool, coloured felt, buttons & shoulder pads (for stuffing or you could use scrap fabric but I had these that I ripped out of some 80's clothes).
 
 
1. For the cone base, I cut out a rectangle approximately 27cms width by 32cms length. Then I cut out strips of wool which I sewed diagonally both ways via zigzag stitch. This made the wafer pattern on the cone.
2. Then on the wrong side of fabric, I folded the fabric in halfway horizontally then marked with chalk a vertical foldline. Using the vertical chalkline as a guide, at the bottom I marked 0.5cms each side & at the top I marked 6.5cms each side of the foldline then I sewed from top to bottom of each side so that I was left with a cone shape. I turned the fabric inside out so it resembled a cone & didn't bother to trim the excess fabric as its needed for stuffing.
3. For extra stuffing. I folded shoulder pads & stuffed them inside the cone. 
 
 
4. If your making a plain single scoop cone, Its easier to wrap a piece of fabric around a shoulder pad (that you squished into a ball shape) & tie it up sort of resembling a ghost. Then you can handsew the scoop onto the cone. For the chocolate icing with sprinkles, I sewed all the buttons on, then handstitched this onto the vanilla ice cream. For the 3 flavour ice cream, I cut out 3 circles roughly 21cms in diameter. I stuffed them with shoulder pads & handsewed them together, it ended up being a super sized ice cream cone which is every kids dream really!!! They are perfect to take on pretend play picnics:)
 
 
If sewing isn't your thing, these freezy dream felt ice cream treats are divine. And if you need some more ice cream inspiration I cross stitched this icecream pillow a while back & the Sack me "Haute bites" collection Sunday sundae doona (& not to mention the rest of the range) is adorable! I literally want to eat the whole range & all the style props too...
 
Happy Thursday friends!
Grace

Sidenote: I wouldn't recommend sewing on buttons as sprinkles for children under 3 (or even 4 depending on child) as its a choking hazard.

No comments:

Post a Comment